My new problem

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
Lord Les

My new problem

Postby Lord Les » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Ok so I got my pup started and let it idle for a while. Then I noticed just a little smoke coming up from the engine, and I remember I have to replace a hose. But the temp gauge is still well below 50% and the radiator cap is cool to the touch. So I'm feeling around and there is a lot of heat coming from this silver metal box right in front of the battery. I barely touched it and almost burned myself. So shut down, go do my day, and now I'm here wondering what the heck is that thing? There was some writing on it, but it is too faded to read. It has two wires going to it.
Attachments
silver metal box in front of batter of 84 pup.jpg
1983 diesel Pup w/ long bed and manual transmission (no AC) and ugly ugly paint

Lord Les

Re: My new problem

Postby Lord Les » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Wait, I think this thread has the name of the thing.

viewtopic.php?t=24394

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:09 pm

Is there another name for this other than drop down resistor?

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:27 pm

So I'm guessing the glow plug drop down resistor is doing something bad? Why would it be over heating? I'm not going to drive my pup till I figure this out because I'm guessing I could burn out my glow plugs. Is it "rebuildable"?

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:16 pm

But here this guy says the drop down resistor (ddr) normally gets hot. Here is what I think and I need someone to tell me where I'm wrong. The drop down resistor turns on to heat the glow plugs when you want to start the engine. Since the engine hasn't turned over yet, there isn't any heat to start the engine. Then the ddr turns off once the engine has started. Or maybe it stays on because the glow plugs are 5 volt? And it normally runs hot and I don't have anything to worry about? I'm not sure why moving the ddr would make any difference, except somehow cooling it.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23977

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:17 am

The drop down resistor is used to supply a reduced level of glow plug current when the starter is cranking.

Unless you have been cranking continuously for more than 30 sec, I don't think the resistor should be hot to the touch.

Does the resistor remain hot after the engine has been off for, say 15 minutes? If it does, chances are that the relay that delivers current to the resistor is stuck closed. Or, possibly, there is an errant control current from the starter switch telling the relay to be on.

Paul
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.

Dangbert

Postby Dangbert » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:42 am

I know I am a few weeks late, but do you need a replacement drop down? I may have one. I stripped the entire QSD system out and went to a totally manual glow plug control.
"84" 5spd long bed diesel

Return to “Diesel - Troubleshooting and Maintenance”